Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Meat-a-balls!

This is one of our favorites!

1 lb Ground Turkey (You can use beef if you wish)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper (I prefer fresh cracked pepper)
1/2 box of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
(Or you can cook down fresh spinach, about 1-1 1/2 cups)
Optional: You can also do these with sundried tomatos instead of spinach...mmmmm!

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking sheet.

Dump it all together. (Make sure to break the egg yolk.) For my messy people, use your hands. Better yet, let your kids do it. As long as they don't eat it, it will be a lot of fun. For my clean people, I use my KitchenAid mixer.

Make sure all the ingredients are mixed. Then with your hands (sorry clean people) roll meatballs. 1"-2" meatballs work great, just try to get them uniform for cooking-time purposes. Place them on the baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes. They will be brown and when you crack one open there shouldn't be any pink. (Ground turkey will be much lighter than beef.)

Here's the fun part! You can serve them so many different ways!

1)Classic: Over noodles of choice with either marinara sauce or cream sauce.
2)Sandwich Style: On subs with sauce poured over.
3)Do it ahead: You can freeze these after cooking and pull them out later on. You can place them frozen in the crockpot with a large can of Ragu (or other red sauce) and let them simmer in the sauce and heat up. If you are going to be gone all day, add a cup of water and cook on low.

Ta Da! Meat-a-balls!

3 comments:

Katie said...

sounds good!! I never made meat balls so I'm way excited! p.s. I'd be the messy person...I love making meatloaf as it squishes between my fingers!!! I know, weird!

The Blowey Bunch said...

yum! :) i AM SO GALD THAT others are getting something out of the couponmom, today was the first day I got the sunday paper and didn't feel overwhelmed and I have a PLAN! so next weekend actually on my friday off I am going shopping and I am going to see how much i can save! PS. I didnt know you took pics, that's awesome. I love it but my passion is a little girl with sandy curls. :)

Ingram Gang said...

I'm excited to try this. Thanks!